National Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness 

When Hudsyn was born and I was forced to learn about clefts - something I knew nothing about - I was amazed at how little is known nationwide. I attribute a large part of this to the fact that in the United States we "fix it" and then move on and don’t talk about it. In many other countries, where cleft repair is not as easily accessible, it is a much more common subject. Kids are often unable to have reparative surgery until they are 8 or 9 years old, making such conversation difficult to avoid. Hudsyn will probably always look a little "different" but by the time she goes to school her scars will likely have had time to heal very well. In foreign countries, however, cleft affected children aren’t quite so lucky. 


July is National cleft and craniofacial awareness month so I figured there was no better time to share some interesting but little known information in hopes of educating those who don’t know - even if just a little. 


We all start out with a cleft. Every single one of us. A cleft is defined in lame man’s terms as "a hole or indention in any part of the body." The skull is formed between 5 and 8 weeks gestation. Both sides of the skull form independent of the other beginning at the back. Formation continues around the sides and the two meet. A cleft lip and/or palate is formed when this area does not fuse together properly. 


Interestingly, a cleft can occur in the brain, eye, on the fingers and toes, on the buttocks - which is called a sacral dimple, chin, face - known as a Tessier’s cleft, or basically anywhere else on the body. If you have dimples, those are a form of cleft too! 


Clefts come in all different combinations so every child born with a cleft is unique. Some clefts require no repair while others require extensive surgeries, sometimes throughout the individual’s life. Clefts, whether lip only or lip and palate, can affect a number of aspects of an individual’s life, including feeding, ear health and hearing, teeth, and speech. Sometimes certain syndromes also accompany clefts. Even if a cleft is fully repaired, there’s often many more years of doctors visits, therapies, and/or procedures to treat these additional issues. 


Animals can also be born with clefts. I have seen some pictures during my research since Hudsyn’s birth of dogs and cats who had them. A few weeks ago, however, when we were at a festival in Red River, we met some people who had a dog with a cleft lip. It is so crazy to me the things that go on in the world we live in that we know nothing about! I know Hudsyn didn’t understand what was going on at the time, but it was interesting to me to see that sweet puppy! 


I want nothing more than for Hudsyn to grow up to be proud of what she has been through. I truly believe it takes a special person to persevere through the surgeries and issues that having a cleft lip and palate bring. My sweet girl is absolutely one of those people! She is strong, stubborn, and determined and takes it all like a champ. As she grows, I hope and pray that she remembers how strong and beautiful she is. She is one of a kind and God knew this little lady would persevere through whatever came her way when he created her just the way he did. 


I am often probably too forthcoming with complete strangers about Hudsyn’s cleft. I tend to mention that she was born with a cleft lip and palate before they even have a chance to wonder. I do so both in hopes of spreading awareness, and avoiding the awkward stares. Clefts would be much less taboo if people knew more about them. So, I encourage you to learn more about clefts and craniofacial abnormalities this month. Read about it - or better yet, ask questions! I would much rather someone ask questions and learn about the condition than stare at my sweet girl and make her uncomfortable. As she grows she will only become more aware and concerned about how others see her and I hope to shield her from as much hurt as I can. But, I also hope to show her the importance of such awareness and encourage her to take part in educating others. 


So, Happy National Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness month to you, and please don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have them!  


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top